Facebook Messenger (www.facebook.com/messenger) has today Announced on Windows Phone Store, just as announced back at Mobile World Congress. The joint venture between Microsoft and Facebook brings the familiar messaging experience from the popular social network to Windows Phone. Before you assume this app to be dead weight with Facebook integration in Windows Phone already present, think again as this expands on functionality. Head past the break for details and store links
What does this app do that the built-in messenger system fails to feature? You’ve got stickers, images and more that’s new for the platform in an official offering. Should you find yourself communicating with friends through Facebook more often than not, it’s worth checking out. Just like Facebook Messenger for iOS and Android, Windows Phone owners will now be able to check messages without opening Facebook through the official apps or Internet Explorer.
Not only that, but there’s a sweet list of features included in Facebook Messenger:
- Get to all your messages without having to open Facebook.
- Bring your conversations to life with stickers and send photos privately.
- Have group conversations and make plans on the go.
- Share your location so people know when you’re nearby.
- Know when people have seen your messages.
- See who’s using Messenger and who’s active on Facebook.
- Stay logged in so you never miss a message.
- Turn off notifications when you’re working, sleeping or just need a break.
- Never lose your conversation history or contacts.
Since this is a standalone app from both Microsoft and Facebook, we can see this solution being updated regularly (or more frequently than the full-featured Facebook apps). You can download Facebook Messenger from the Windows Phone Store.